Thursday, March 16, 2017

Nora

On Thursday February 16, 2017 we welcomed a new member into our family. Nora Kay Mendenhall was born at 1:54 PM. She was 7 lbs. 3 oz. and 19 in. long. I was due on the 18th, but the doctor told me that I could be induced up to a week before my due date. Rusty and I decided that Thursday would be good because then Rusty could take that day and Friday off, and he got the following Monday off since it was President's Day. It was kind of weird picking the date we wanted our child to be born on. We had her at the Orem Community Hospital. I hadn't been there before except for when Lily needed to have the bilirubin test after she was born, but we thought it was a great hospital. It was nice and small, and the staff were all very friendly. We checked into the hospital at 7:00 in the morning. After a little while they broke my water and put me on pitocin. A little while after that I got my epidural. About a half hour after that I got very sleepy. It turns out my epidural made me very tired. That didn't happen when I had Claire and Lily. After Nora was born I felt so tired to even hold her, but I did hold her. a half hour after they took the epidural out I felt much more energized. I was kind of slow to dilate. The nurse came in, and I was at a 3. Then she came back a while later and I was only at a 4 or so. But after that I felt a lot of pressure and was getting quite uncomfortable, and the next time the nurse checked me I was ready to go. It happened fast. The doctor was actually at his Provo office and we had to wait for him to get to the hospital. I could have had the baby earlier if we didn't have to wait. I think I pushed four times, and then she was here! It was a nice delivery for me. My cousin Heather goes to the same doctor, and she said at her appointment after I had Nora that the doctor said I made having a baby look easy. I didn't even break a sweat. I thought that was funny. 
Me in the morning before we left for the hospital.
Proud daddy.
Rusty was excited that she was sucking her fingers since I did that as a child, but she actually hasn't done this since her first day of life.
My mom and Nora.
My dad and Nora.
The night before Nora was born we took Claire and Lily to my parent's house to sleep over. Makenna came and slept over too, and they were so excited. My parents were very kind and took care of the girls for us while we were at the hospital. They brought them down that evening to meet their new baby sister. They were interested in her a little bit, but I don't think she was very exciting to them. They liked exploring the hospital room more. That night my parents took Claire and Lily to Cara's house where they slept over. They were so excited for all these sleepovers. Kristen came over to Cara's the next day and helped Cara take care of all the kids. We were very grateful that they did this. It was very nice not having to worry about our girls.
Our first attempt at a family photo with the five of us was not very successful.
Lily loves holding, kissing, and hugging Nora.
Our three girls
Alex, Malia, and Jenn came to visit us.
Nora and Rusty's mom.
Rusty's dad and Nora.
Dallen and Nora.
Kristen, Cara, Nora, and Makenna
We were planning on staying two nights because that's what we did when I had Claire and Lily, but the day after I delivered her my doctor and the pediatrician said that I could leave that day. We thought about it for a while and decided I might as well leave then. It took a while to get everything ready for me to be discharged, but it was good for Claire and Lily to be home after all their adventures. That first night home Nora woke up a lot. It made me wish I could send her to the nursery and the nurses could take care of her like they did the first night. But the second night we were home she did much better. I had to take Nora two times to get a bilirubin test for her jaundice, but after the second test they said she was no longer a concern. She lost her orange color pretty fast after that.
Lily loves to try and hold Nora's hand.
Skinny naked baby.
Lily, Rusty, Claire, and Nora
Today is actually Nora's one month birthday. I have been slow to write about her birth. Nora has been a great baby. She is still pretty sleepy, but she is getting more alert. I usually have to wake her up to eat. The day before she turned three weeks I decided to see if I could feed her one time instead of twice, and she did great with it. The next morning I felt so much more refreshed only having to wake up once. I feel like Nora is very similar to how Claire and Lily were as babies. They all lost weight after birth and were slow to gain it back, but they did eventually. It was nice this time because I've been though that two times before so I wasn't as stressed when she was slow to gain weight.
On March 16th Nora turned 1 month old.
Once in a while she will give a little smile.
Nora, Claire, and Lily
The three sisters!
We love having Nora in our family. She is a very mellow baby. Claire and Lily have adjusted quite well to having a new baby in our family, and that makes me very happy. It entertaining watching Nora's funny facial expressions or seeing her jerky body movements. She has the same poofy hair that our other girls had. We are very blessed to be her parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment