Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Breech Baby

On October 3rd I went to the doctor for my regular visit. He was checking the baby and got out his little ultra sound machine and found out some bad news. The baby was breech. It was not pleasant news, but he said that I shouldn't worry about it. Yes I was 37 weeks along, but it wasn't too late to flip the baby around. He decided he was going to do a version (something I had never heard of before) that night at the hospital. He said pretty much all that happens is he puts some gel on my belly and pushes really hard on the baby and tries to get her to flip over. They had to do it at the hospital and I had to have an IV just in case something went wrong with the umbilical chord wrapped around the baby and they needed to rush me to do an emergency C-section. He said that they had never happened before though. So I had to wait around all day until 8:30 that evening. Then we went to the hospital. They checked me in and got everything ready. The doctor put the gel on  my belly and said he thought he felt the head and bum. He pushed really hard and started to turn his hands in a circle. When he was done trying just one time he thought the baby might have already flipped, and he checked on the ultra sound machine, and she actually had! They said it hardly ever happens that fast. Usually the baby is much more difficult. The longest part of the night was waiting there for an hour and a half after until the nurses got 20 minutes of constant heartbeat. Apparently I was moving too much the first hour, but they never told me it messed up the heartbeat counter until we had been there a really long time. Once I knew not to move it was fast and we were able to go home. The next week I stressed quite a bit thinking the baby might have flipped back, but when I went for my visit the next Wednesday she was still head down! I'm so happy everything worked out.

Other things that have been going on are Cara, Kristen, and I went and checked out the new store Scheels. It's giant! There were some really great places to take photos so it looked like you were in the mountains.

We did a project last Saturday morning. My parents wanted to build another garden box. Now we can grow even more things next summer. Rusty was really buff pushing the wheelbarrow full of stones.
 Here is my dad chiseling the bottom of the stones so the bottom layer was flat on the ground.
 Kristen had such good leveling skills.
 My mom and I measured a lot. We wanted to make sure it was straight.

That night Rusty and I got to do something really fun. We were asked to chaperone the stake young dance. It was a really funny experience. There were a lot of tasty treats for us to eat. Unfortunately we didn't take any pictures at the dance.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, I had to do that procedure with Ethan!!!! It killed!!! Kory said it was quite fascinating to watch Ethan's body flip inside of me though!!!! I hope they can turn your little girl today and that your delivery goes well1!!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete